THE CREED:
AS IT IS MOST PLAINLY TO BE TAUGHT BY A FATHER TO HIS FAMILY.

~~~~~

Of what does the first article treat?

Ans. – Of Creation.

How is it expressed?

Ans. – I believe in God the Father, Almighty Maker of heaven and earth.

What does this imply?

Ans. – I believe that God created me, together with every other creature; that he has given and still preserves for me my body and soul, eyes and ears, and all the other members, reason and all the senses; moreover that he has given me raiment and shoes, meat and drink, house and residence, a spouse and children, lands, cattle, and every other possession; that he amply and daily provides me with all the necessaries of this life for the support of the body; that he protects me against all dangers, and keeps me from all evil. All this he does without any of my own merit or worthiness, through pure fatherly, divine goodness and mercy. For all this I am under obligation to thank and praise, to serve and obey him. This is most certainly true.


Of what does the second article treat?

Ans. – Of Redemption.

How is it expressed?

Ans. – And in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell; on the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of God, the Father Almighty, from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.

What does this imply?

Ans. – I believe that Jesus Christ, true God, begotten of the Father from all eternity, and also true man, born of the Virgin Mary, is my Lord; that he has redeemed me a wretched, lost, and condemned being; that he has delivered me from all sin, from death and the power of the devil, not with gold, or silver, but with his holy, precious blood, and by his innocent sufferings and death; so that I might be his own, and live subject to him in his kingdom, and serve him in everlasting righteousness, innocence and felicity; even as he is risen from the dead, lives and reigns for ever. This is most certainly true.


Of what does the third article treat?

Ans. – Of Sanctification.

How is it expressed?

Ans. – I believe in the Holy Ghost, in a holy Christian church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen.

What does this imply?

Ans. – I believe, that I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in, or come to Jesus Christ my Lord; but that the Holy Ghost has called me by the Gospel, enlightened me through his gifts, sanctified and preserved me in the true faith, even as he calls, assembles, and sanctifies the whole Christian church on earth, and preserves it in Christ in the only true faith, – in which church he daily and abundantly pardons all my sins, and the sins of all believers; and that he shall on the last day raise me and all the dead, and give unto me, together with all believers in Christ Jesus, everlasting life. This is most certainly true.


~~~~~~~~~~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home