PRAYERS.

HOW A FATHER SHOULD TEACH HIS FAMILY
TO DEVOTE THEMSELVES TO GOD IN THE MORNING AND EVENING.

~~~~~

MORNING PRAYER.

In the morning, on rising up, you should utter a benediction, saying:

In the name of God, the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.

Then kneeling or standing, repeat the Creed and the Lord’s Prayer; and if you wish you may also repeat the following prayer:

I thank thee, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, thy well-beloved Son, that thou hast guarded me through the past night against all harm and danger. I pray thee, that thou wouldst this day also, defend me against sin and all evil; that all my ways and life may be well-pleasing unto thee. For I commit my body and soul, and all I have into thy hands. Let thy holy angel be with me, so that Satan may exercise no influence over me! Amen.

And, a hymn being sung, or the Ten Commandments repeated, or whatever else your devotion may suggest, proceed to the duties of your calling with pleasure.


EVENING PRAYER.

In the evening, on retiring, you should utter a benediction, saying:

In the name of God, the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.

Then kneeling or standing, repeat the Creed and the Lord’s Prayer; and if you wish you may also repeat this prayer:

I thank thee, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, thy dear Son, that thou hast graciously guarded me all this day. I pray thee, pardon all my sins which I have committed against thee. Graciously guard me through this night. I commit my body and soul, and all I have into thy hands. Let thy holy angel be with me, so that Satan may exercise no influence over me! Amen.

And then sleep quickly and peaceably.


HOW A FATHER SHOULD TEACH HIS FAMILY TO PRAY
BEFORE AND AFTER MEAT.

The children and domestics should modestly proceed to the table, and with folded hands, say:

The eyes of all wait upon thee, Lord; and thou givest them their meat in due season. Thou openest thine hand, and satisfiest the desire of every living thing.

Whereupon the Lord’s Prayer, and the following prayer, may be repeated:

Lord! our heavenly Father, bless us, and these thy gifts, which we receive from thy goodness, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Thus after meat, they should also in like manner be modest, and with folded hands, say:

O give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good, for his mercy endureth for ever. He giveth to the beast his food, and to the young ravens which cry. He delighteth not in the strength of the horse: he taketh not pleasure in the legs of a man. The Lord taketh pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy. Amen.

Whereupon the Lord’s Prayer, and the following prayer, may be repeated:

O God our heavenly Father! we thank thee, through Jesus Christ, our Lord, for all thy gifts and favors. Thou dost live and reign for ever. Amen


~~~~~~~~~~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home